Sunday 3 August 2014

Introduction

So here I am, with an android app finally released in the Google Play store. I'm calling it my debut, although it's not exactly my first app store publication. See for example Mr Maths and UXB Depth Calculator.

So why am I calling Float my debut app? it's because these other two published apps were both made using App Inventor, and I've since learned more about programming and taken on the challenge of writing apps "properly". The advantage is not just satisfaction, but significantly more control on what can be achieved.

App Inventor is great if all you need to do is present some static forms and maybe do a few calculations on some user input, but more complex graphical interactions and complex data handling benefits from the freedom of a fully fledged programming environment.

So now I'm writing in Java using Eclipse. I'm so grateful that Eclipse exists in the first place. I'm not expecting to break into the big time in terms of app development (that wont stop me from hoping though!) so having an affordable (i.e. free!) route into the game was essential. And its been great fun to learn.

Float is also not the first app I've created, but it is the first I've taken as far as publication. There are two currently in draft form on my phone, Float was my third effort, and a fourth is currently just a concept in my head currently. I hope to mention them on this blog in coming posts.

I'll be using this blog to chronicle my efforts to make further improvements to Float. I have some exciting upgrades planned, some of which will be easier than others. I'll finish each post with a description of how I feel it is all going.... Floating, sinking or swimming!

Right now, with Float released, and daily gaining new users.. .I'm Swimming!

Android app on Google Play



No comments:

Post a Comment