Tuesday 5 August 2014

Dealing with Criticism

In shamelessly trying to promote Float, I've been joining and posting to Google+ communities looking to:

  1. put the link to my app out in the big wide world
  2. possibly gain some useful tips for improvement
  3. I'll be honest, a healthy does of backslapping and "well done old boy. Great app!" is naively hoped for.

From most posts, I got a good deal of 1, also a little bit of 2, and a tiny but of 3. Actually, there was no 3, except from my parents...

But from one community, I got a more critical response. Now I'm a big boy, I can brush that aside, but I'm curious about why this happened suddenly and in one specific community. Oddly, I was more responsible in this community than in some others. By that I mean I posted in a conversation topic that was specifically meant for feedback requests, and I requested feedback on a specific element of the app (the palette choice and use). In other communities I was simply one of many "Hey, check out my app!" posts.

I had one very unfair and critical comment right off the bat, to which I responded with "OK, so what don't you like about it?" To that reply, a different poster responded with "do you really not see the problem with the user experience?"

What am I meant to do with that? And why was I being ganged up on? I checked out the profiles of the people commenting and one of them at least seemed to be a professional android developer. I felt like perhaps I'd found myself in the rough pub at the wrong end of town. Maybe I should avoid this community and stay where novice hobbyist programmers are more welcomed.

But before tucking tail and backing out of the saloon doors I faced up to my attackers, commenting that their responses were of no help.

To this I got mixed responses. One then responded with an apology and some helpful criticism that I've taken on board graciously. The other (the professional) responded sarcastically, accusing me of not understanding users because I don't play other games (there may be some truth in that... who has time to play games around here?)

So, I deleted his final comment that I deemed to be sarcastic. Would you have done the same thing? The censorship feels wrong, but I'm a small time developer in a big timer's game... one or two negative comments can make things really hard. I don't have time for a war of words I'd only lose anyway.

I'm a little surprised (but grateful) that I have the freedom to delete comments on my public posts in someone else's Google+ Community.

Was I wrong to delete the comment?

The original post (minus the offending comment) is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment